sinus problems after tooth extraction

Sinus problems after tooth extraction

Oral health involves proper care of the parts of the mouth including the teeth and the tongue. Many people have experienced challenges with their oral health with most problems related to the teeth. Some issues may cause the dentists to recommend tooth extraction to solve the underlying issues. The data obtained from the dentists in the United States estimates that over thirty million people undergo teeth extraction procedures every year. You may experience a complication associated with the tooth extraction. One of the most notable difficulties is sinus problems after tooth extraction. This guide explains in detail the cause, signs and symptoms and remedies of the sinus cavity.

Sinusitis caused by a tooth extraction

Sinuses are hollow cavities found in the skull that permit mucus and dust to drain from nose to the back of the throat. Sinusitis is an infection that causes the inflammation of tissues lining the sinus. The maxillary sinus is located close to the molars and premolars in the upper jaw. The roots of the molars and premolars are separated from the maxillary sinus by a hard floor that acts as a barrier for protection.

During tooth extraction procedures in the upper jaw, the dentist may cause an injury to the maxillary sinus creating a passageway known as an oral-antral fistula. The opening formed is not easily noticed by patients and dentists. In most cases, the opening does not heal quickly allowing the saliva to get in the sinus cavity. Saliva contains bacteria, and once it gets into the maxillary cavity, it will cause an infection called maxillary sinusitis. sinus problems after tooth extraction

Symptoms of Maxillary Sinusitis

If you have an infection on your maxillary sinus, you will experience a nasal discharge associated with a foul smell, fever, and headache. The sinus region can also appear red and swollen with some pain.


If you have an infection in your sinus as a result of tooth extraction, it is necessary to consult a specialist to examine your problem. You can get tested through a CT scan and get recommended to take antibiotics. A specialist may also advise you for minor surgery to repair a

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *